Assignment 2: Death Investigations
Due Week 7 and worth 200 points
Some people get confused with the terminology surrounding death investigations and their classification, such as natural death, accidental, suicide, and homicide. For this reason, criminal investigators must be well-versed in the various death classifications. Use your textbook, the Internet, and / or Strayer Library to research articles on death investigation.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Compare and contrast the fundamental differences in natural death, accidental death, suicide, and homicide.
- Select an article concerning a type of death of your choice and summarize the key factors that the police used to classify the type of death. Suggest one (1) additional factor that the police should collect for the death investigation.
- Compare the fundamental differences in investigating a death case versus other types of crimes.
- Determine the goal and the main procedure of a preliminary death investigation. Include one (1) example of a successful preliminary death investigation to support your response.
- Analyze the main ways in which various environmental factors may influence the medical examination and autopsy in death investigations.
- Use at least two (2) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar type Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the major components of and responsiblities involved in the investigative process.
- Recommend improvements to the criminal investigation process in selected areas.
- Recommend effective ways to apply the investigative process to violent crimes.
- Use technology and information resources to conduct research in the criminal investigation process.
- Write clearly and concisely about the criminal investigation process using proper writing mechanics.