Wasn’t My Sister’s Keeper an interesting book? I added this Discussion after many students strongly encouraged the idea to discuss the book with their classmates. It is too heavy of a book to not discuss and debrief after! So let’s talk about the book! Please answer at least 2 questions from each group of questions:
Thoughts on the book
- What were your initial feelings after you finished the book?
- What did you think about the ending? Did you think it was an appropriate ending? How would you have liked it to end?
- What is the overall message you take away from the book? What do you think the author’s message was?
- If you had a child with an illness that only another child could help cure would you do what the parents did in this story?
- Is it ethical what these parents did? Is it moral? Is it right?
Family Systems (Review the Powerpoint)
- What did you think of the family dynamics in the book? How central was the illness to how the parents parented their children?
- In thinking about Bowen’s family systems theory (from the Powerpoint on Family Systems in Module 6), what are some examples of triangulation in the book?
- How is the sibling position affected by the illness? How does this book illustrate the family projection process?