Grant writing in criminal justice and related agencies is an acquired skill that is greatly underutilized today. Indeed, it is common for agencies to hire an outside consultant to write grant proposals or to have an officer with no formal grant-writing training improvise, often with very little success.
With regard to the neglected skill of grant writing in criminal justice, please research and then answer the following questions:
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
- Why do you think grant writing is an essential skill for criminal justice and related agencies? Explain.
- Why do you think that this skill is underutilized today in criminal justice and related fields? Explain.
- What are the potential benefits of having a skilled grant writer in a criminal justice or related agency? Explain.
How might the position of grant writer differ depending on the size of the agency?
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?