The House on Mango Street is a popular book that has been read and reviewed by many people both inside and outside of classrooms. For this assignment, you will read a review of The House on Mango Street and write an essay response that analyzes the book review and provides your own ideas about the book.
Look through the three book reviews linked below and choose one of them to write about. Your essay response should address the following questions:
1. What do you agree with in the review? What do you disagree with?
2. What did the book review help you understand about the book that wasn’t clear to you before?
3. Did the book review change your opinion of any part of the book?
4. If you were writing a review of the book, what themes would you bring up?
5. What parts of the story would you quote or describe in detail because they are significant?
6. If you were writing a review of the book, who would you recommend it to and why?
Your essay response should be 2-3 pages long, double-spaced, and should be well-organized, with coherent paragraphs and competent grammar and spelling.
Book Review Options
- http://modernlatina.com/modernlatinabookclub-features-house-on-mango-street-by-sandra-cisneros/ (Links to an external site.)
- https://annotationnation.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/house-on-mango-street/ (Links to an external site.)
- http://fantaghiro23.blogspot.com/2009/06/house-on-mango-street-by-sandra.html(Links to an external site.)