Because good writing is always a process, our persuasive essay will
be written in two parts: a first draft due this week and a revision due
in week 6. Your paper should be approximately 3-4 pages in length.
As you prepare, here are a few reminders for this week’s draft:
- In week 3 you posted a thesis for peer review. Consider the feedback
you received, refine your thesis, and use it the basis for your
- Use your sources to support your thesis. Research and prepare the
passages you will consider using. Remember to review methods of
paraphrasing, summarizing, and using direct quotations. You should cite
at least five sources in the body of your essay, and at least three of
those sources should come from the Rasmussen College Online Library.
- Prepare the body paragraphs by deciding where to place supporting
information. Remember, each paragraph of the paper should act to build
the momentum of the argument.
- Apply pathos, logos, and ethos whenever possible.
- Finally, remember that it’s okay if your ideas, opinions, or sources
change during process of writing this paper. Writing makes us think,
and it’s fine – even beneficial – to have our thoughts change as we
express them on paper.
Thesis: Gun control laws infringe upon the right to
self-defense and deny people a sense of safety.