In this discussion I want you to consider the following:
- Espionage and Seditions Acts during WWI
- Internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII
- McCarthyism and the Red Scare
- Pentagon Papers
To what extent should the personal liberties of American citizens be curtailed in order to protect the nation as a whole? Do you agree with the national security arguments made for each of the above? What lessons were learned from the above and can you see the same arguments playing out today?
Remember that you should provide a clear thesis to your answer and include specific historical details in support of your argument. Don’t forget to utilize evidence from primary source documents!
- Use only the materials provided in the course module or your assigned textbooks. We have vetted all materials in this course and other materials may or may not be appropriate for college level work. I will downgrade anyone who uses outside materials.
- Remember what you have learned about thesis statements and evidence in the Historical Methods Portfolio. Your post should have a thesis statement and it should have both primary and secondary source evidence in support of the thesis
- Don’t quote secondary sources. Paraphrase in your own words and then cite instead.
- You must properly cite using the Turabian/Chicago style that you can find under “Writing Help” in the course menu to your left.