You will write a 5-page research paper on a social issue of your choice from a sociological perspective. The social issue can be something covered in class or not covered, but must be analyzed from a sociological perspective.
The paper must address the following questions:
- What is the social issue?
- Describe and critically assess the social issue in a comprehensive and substantive matter.
- What are some common assumptions people have on the social issue?
- Describe and assess common assumptions, both public and personal regarding the social issue.
- What does the current academic literature say on the social issue?
- Using recent (last 10-15 years) academic sources, illustrate current arguments and positions found in the literature about the social issue.
- What is your position on the social issue?
- Taking into account the common assumptions and the current literature, describe your perspective on the social issue. Compare your perspective to common assumptions and current literature.
Additional Paper Requirements
Your paper must:
- Be formatted using 12-point Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins, double-spaced, and be between 5-6 pages in length
- Use at least 5 scholarly sources. This includes discussing in depth, citing in-text, and quoting when appropriate the scholarly sources. Please see the Helpful Resources on Finding and Citing Outside Sources page for more information.
- Include a reference section.
- Follow either ASA or APA formatting
- Be organized using basic essay structure- make sure the introduction paragraph introduces your thesis and the conclusion reiterates the main points.
- Be well-written (clearly-written without excessive grammatical errors).