In this Discussion, you construct a brief example of a health information technology project that illustrates three of the four types of dependencies. In addition, you assess the importance of accurately identifying dependencies in a project timeline.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources, focusing on identifying dependencies and sequencing activities.
- Bring to mind a health information technology project on which to focus for this Discussion. Note: You will use this same project idea to complete this week’s Assignment.
- Consider the tasks necessary to complete the project you selected.
- Think about the relationship between the tasks (i.e., the dependencies).
- Reflect on why it is important to accurately identify the dependencies in a project timeline.
Post an example that illustrates dependencies, or relationships, between tasks in a health information technology project timeline. Include at least three of the four types of dependencies between tasks in the example. Assess the importance of accurately identifying dependencies in a project timeline.
Coplan, S., & Masuda, D. (2011). Project management for healthcare information technology. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. Chapter 3, “Project Management” “Time Management” (pp. 59–68)
Project Management Institute. (2013). A guide to the project management body of knowledge (PMBOK guide) (5th ed.). Newtown Square, PA: Author. Chapter 6 “Project Time Management” (pp. 141–192)
Biffi, M.-H. (2008). Linking the estimate, the schedule and the cost control through a standardized WBS. AACE International Transactions, 1–11.
Fretty, P. (2012). On the right track. PM Network, 26(9), 50–55.