Assignment 3: The FAR and Contract Provisions for Protection
Due Week 10 and worth 300 points
Imagine that you are a contracts officer for the Department of Energy (DOE). You have been asked to review bids from contractors who have developed a new widget for saving the American public twenty-five percent (25%) on their energy bills. Once an award is made, the contractors will receive the contract, which includes provisions to minimize risks and define rights and obligations, from the Department of Energy.
Review Federal Acquisition Review (FAR) “52.246-1 Contractor Inspection Requirements”.
Note: You may create and / or make all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Evaluate the importance of the standard default clause. As a contracts officer for the DOE, suggest two (2) ways in which you could combine the standard default clause with the FAR’s delay provision for the protection of both parties to the contract. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Speculate on the impact that a contracting officer’s changes to the payment terms within the contract would exert upon both the government and the contractor. Next, suggest the most secure method for making a contractual change. Justify your response.
- As a contracts officer for the DOE, suggest two (2) improvements that you would make to the inspection procedure in order to make the procedure more efficient. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, your name, your professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain the government’s intellectual property rights policy.
- Compare and contrast the consequences and remedies of “termination for default” and “termination for convenience.”
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in procurement and contract law.
- Write clearly and concisely about procurement and contract law using correct grammar and mechanics.
Click here to view the grading rubric for this assignment.