Hi, All –
The first written assignment is due in week 3 but some students have already started working on it which is excellent; so, I am providing some additional information to help clarify some common questions:
First: reviews these health care laws:
- Stark Law.
- HIPAA for Professionals.
- HITECH Act Enforcement Interim Final Rule.
- Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act (EMTALA).
- A Roadmap for New Physicians: Fraud & Abuse Laws; Anti-Kickback Statute.
- The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008.
Second, you pick one of the health laws to examine, which is why there are links below (in the assignment) to the laws.
Third, imagine you work as an administrator in a hospital or health care organization. You are being considered for a promotion and are being asked to prepare a report for senior leadership that demonstrates your knowledge and interpretation of one of the above-mentioned health care laws.
To complete this report, select a court case (you will have to do some research on the Internet to locate a court case related to the law that you have selected. For example, if you pick HIPAA you could locate a case where patient data was breeched, for example: https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/compliance-enforcement/examples/new-york-and-presbyterian-hospital/index.html.
You should divide the paper into these 5 headings using bold type so it is clear where you have covered this information:
- Analyze a court case where a health care law violation occurred.
- Analyze the health care law that was violated in the selected case.
- Evaluate the implications of the selected law on the health care system.
- Recommend how the hospital should protect against another violation.
- Support your thesis statement following the SESC formula (State, Explain, Support, and Conclude).
Paper should have a title page, the 5 sections, and a reference page with at least 3 refs in APA format. You should use in-text APA refs throughout the paper and proof read carefully for grammar errors. The entire paper should be 7 pages from title page to reference page; so, basically 1 page for each of the 5 elements with a title page and a ref page.