- How does the author define racism? What reasons does she give for this definition? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
- Discuss the author’s description of active and passive racism? What are they? How are they different?
- What is the difference between ethnic and cultural identity? How does Tatum discuss these topics? What does she say may make these useful or complex terms or identities?
- What was your emotional response to this piece? Did any of it make you angry or uncomfortable? Why or why not? Which of her points would you challenge, or want to learn in greater detail?
- Why do some White people get defensive when discussing racism? Is there a â€˜rightâ€™ way to do this so they wonâ€™t get defensive? Why do some (often, but not always White) deny that racism is still a problem? Whatâ€™s been your experience of this, as either the one getting defensive or the one trying to explain it to others?
You can utilize this reading response template to meet the formatting expectations:
- 1â€ margins all around
- Times New Roman 12 point; double-spaced
- 0â€ indent and 0 pt. layout
Keep the following in mind:
- 4 full page minimum
- Submitted as a Word document
- Simply restating the authorâ€™s ideas.
- Relying on lengthy quotations (3+ lines), especially if it lacks follow-up analysis
- Avoid excessive spacing, especially between titles and paragraphs
When referencing internal or external material in the body of your response, use this citation style (Author, pgs. 1-2) at the end of a sentence.
I have attached the reading that is needed to to answer the all the questions above for the paper.