This assignment is an analysis of a selected neuropsychological disorder. This topic choice will be used to complete the Week One Assignment (Topic Selection), Week Two Assignment (Outline of Final Project), and the Week Five Assignment (Final Project). Select a neuropsychological disorder for comprehensive analysis from the following list, based on the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5 (DSM-5):
- Major depressive disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the anxiety disorders, e.g., generalized anxiety disorder or social anxiety disorder.
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Substance use disorder (substance abuse and addiction)
- Provide both an overview of this topic plus a focus on a single drug of your choice.
- Neurodevelopmental disorder (autism spectrum disorder or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder)
- Neurocognitive disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the neurocognitive disorders, e.g., one of the dementias.
- Neurological disorder
- Choose and focus on one neurological disorder, e.g., multiple sclerosis, spinal bifida.
- Sleep-wake disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the sleep-wake disorders.
- Feeding and eating disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the feeding and eating disorders.
- Sexual dysfunction or gender dysphoria disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the disorders in these categories.
- Other neuropsychosocial disorder
- This option must be approved in advance by the instructor before your assignment is submitted.
In keeping with the focus of this class, the emphasis of your paper will be on the neuroscience aspects of the disorder, to include:
- Theories of etiology (causes)
- Associated factors in development of the disorder (genetic, environmental, familial, lifestyle)
- Pathology (abnormalities of physical structure and function, including genetic and biochemical aspects)
- Treatment options (pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic, with rationales for use based on current understanding of the disorder)
- Diagnostic and research technologies employed in clinical diagnosis, care, and basic science research
Your research will include two to three peer-reviewed sources that provide evidence-based information regarding the biologic and psychological features of the disorder. Refer to the Final Project guidelines, which can be found in Week Five of your online course or in the “Components of Course Evaluation” section of this guide, for more details on the components that should be included in this analysis
Writing the Selection of Final Project Topic
- Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined.