1. A writer can demonstrate the connection between evidence and claims by doing WHICH ONE of the following?
allowing evidence to speak for itself
showing a clear, logical connection
letting common sense prevails
staying firm to personal beliefs
2. “How can you say Celine Dion’s music is not great? She has sold over 20 million albums.” This is an example of
the scapegoating fallacy.
the false dilemma fallacy.
the loaded-question fallacy.
an appeal-to-popularity fallacy.
3. Meeting audience expectations produces all of the following expectations, EXCEPT: (Points : 1)
It enhances your grade.
It establishes you as an attentive writer.
It ensures you will avoid offending your audience.
It enables you to be an expert.
4. Which of the following is a complex sentence? (Points : 1)
Eric organized the filing system, but he did not update the files.
Eric organized the filing system and updated the files.
Because the files were already updated, Eric had little to do, so he enjoyed his afternoon.
Updating the files were a difficult endeavor for Eric; he didn’t much care for filing.
5. An interpretive framework for an essay should include all of the following EXCEPT (Points : 1)
emotionally driven beliefs.
opinions of experts.
6. The drafting stage of the writing process all of the following strategies, EXCEPT
discovery of what your research means.
determining how to frame an argument.
focusing only on proving your thesis.
being open-minded about potential changes.