Choose two (2) of the following late 20th century African-American artists, and compare and contrast their art: Bearden, Lawrence, Basquiat, or Colescott. Describe specific elements of the works from the chosen artists that represent the multiplicity of the African-American experience. Identify one (1) of these works (or some other by an African American artist) that you would like in your workplace, and explain why.
African American Artists of the Twentieth Century
- Chapter 35 (p. 1167) and Chapter 36 (p. 1180) on Jacob Lawrence
- Chapter 39 (pp. 1285-1286) on Romare Bearden
- Chapter 40 (pp. 1326-1327) on Jean-Michel Basquiat
- Jacob Lawrence, New York Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) at http://www.moma.org/collection/artist.php?artist_id=3418
- Basquiat and Robert Colescott, Washington DC’s Corcoran Museum at http://www2.corcoran.org/30americans/artists/
- Romare Bearden video, San Francisco’s Museum of Modern Art at http://www.sfmoma.org/explore/multimedia/videos/205