Capital Punishment and the Bible
Capital punishment or “the death penalty” is a frequently debated punishment in the United States. Although a majority of Americans still support the death penalty as a punishment, the support seems to be declining.
Please discuss the following:
- What is the origin and biblical basis for the death penalty?
- Is there a difference between the Old and New Testament approaches to the death penalty?
- Explain the U.S. Supreme Court’s treatment of juveniles and the mentally ill in death penalty cases.
- Does the death penalty provide a valid punishment option in today’s society?
* minimum of 300 words
* 1 scholarly resource and 1 biblical resource