Saturday, April 5, 1986, 19-year-old Lehigh University student Jeanne Clery waited in her campus dorm room with her door propped, awaiting a pizza delivery order, subsequently falling asleep while waiting for her order to arrive. A 20-year-old male student, Joseph Henry, who had left a campus party, walked into the dormitory making his way up each floor looking for unlocked doors when he came upon Jeanne’s open door on the second floor. Initially entering her dorm to steal, when Jeanne woke up, Henry physically and sexually attacked her. Subsequently, he slashed her throat with a piece of broken glass and strangled her to death.
During a search of the male’s dorm room, they discovered Jeanne’s stolen property. The male student was found guilty of numerous crimes totaling up to 67 years, in addition to his death sentence (Elwell, 1988).
As a result of this campus-related incident, Jeanne’s parents, determined to ensure their daughter had not died in vain, founded the Clery Center for Security on Campus and advocated to politicians and legislators on behalf of mandated security standards and reporting procedures. In 1991, Congress passed the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act, later renamed the Jeanne Clery Act.
For this assignment, complete the following:
- Analyze the data reported in 1986 and in 2015â€“16 on the School Violence Around the World Web site to determine similarities and differences of school violence incidents that have occurred in the United States.
- Identify any evidence you see of contagion of violence in the period of 6â€“9 months following the Clery murder that might be related to this crime. You will have to do some research to determine this. Focus only on university episodes and be sure to cite your resources.
- Explain why contagion of violence might be more prevalent in 2016 than it was in 1986.
Elwell, G. (1988, July 23). Henry formally sentenced to death: Lehigh University killer apologizes to Clery family â€“ and to his own. The Morning Call. Retrieved from http://articles.mcall.com/1988-07-23/news/2654695_…
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources and citations: Format according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: 2â€“3 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page or the references page.
- References: A minimum of two references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point