Using the scenario from the Week One assignment, write a 2- to 3-page business memo to the CIO of your organization detailing security recommendations. Include a Visio® diagram illustrating your security model and any areas of concern. Be sure to follow APA standards for a business memo.
Referencing your prior week’s infrastructure (specific) choices, use the “Understanding Cloud Security” guidance in Ch. 12 of the Cloud Computing Bible to think about one or two additional recommendations that you would make to improve security.
Incorporate into your memo the inherent security concerns for each area:
- Service: What service to use (SaaS, PaaS, etc)? This is based on your Week One decision.
- Design principles: To what standards do you need to adhere? (use Ch. 14, Amazon Web Services for Dummies, as a reference) This is based on your Week Two decision.
- Security concerns: What virtualization security concerns do you have? This is based on your Week Three decision.
If you don’t have access to information about your organization’s network, try meeting with the network manager to come up with some ideas. If this is not possible, use the following scenario:
You are the IT Manager of a mid-size wholesale distribution business of 500 employees. The following are a few systems that are used within your business:
- Internal Exchange 2003 server – this is a physical server
- Internal CRM system – this is a virtual machine
- Internal ERP system using SAP ERP 6.0 – this is a physical server
- Internal File server using 1.2 TB of data – this is a virtual machine
- (2) Internal SQL Servers used for business intelligence – (1) server is virtual and (1) server is physical
The network has the following characteristics:
- A WAN with (4) connected sites – (3) distribution centers, and a corporate office.
- Each site is connected via a 100 Mbps MPLS WAN and has a single T-1 for a failover connection.
- The datacenter is centralized at one of the distribution centers.
- There are (2) internet connections a 100 Mbps primary connection and a 10 Mbps backup.
- The network has redundant firewalls that also provide VPN access for any remote access that is needed.
- Each site has a LAN that is 1 Gbps Ethernet.
Submit your assignment using the Assignment Files tab.