Write a 750-1000 word essay about a pair of items in which the similarities and differences of those items are compared and contrasted in the style described within Unit III. Please note that the Comparative Essay Final will be due later. However, you should complete the entire paper in this draft and do your best work as you will have more applicable feedback from which to make changes to your essay for the final draft.
Purpose: Throughout, we have discussed the conventions of the comparative essay. The purpose of this assignment is to measure your mastery of those conventions by putting your knowledge into practice. In a larger context, the purpose of writing a comparative essay is to gain the skills of detecting similarities and differences between at least two items and then using those similarities and differences to create knowledge about either one or both of the items. In this way, the comparative essay is a tool used for both observation and analysis.
Process: For the comparative essay, you will complete the following steps:
1. Choose a pair of topics that complement one another.
2. Create a list of similarities and differences.
3. Create a thesis statement based on similarities, differences, or both similarities and differences.
4. Choose whether to organize your essay by point or by subject.
5. Consult the “Comparative Essay: Final Self-Check List” below before submission.
Stylistic details: All essays must meet the following requirements:
- 750-1000 words.
- Write in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font.
- Include one-inch margins on all sides.
- Use double spacing (top-to-bottom every page, to include above and below titles and centered words).
- Include an APA title page (for all essays) and reference list that includes all of the sources used in the essay.
- Include a header.
- Include page numbers (upper-right corner only).
- Adhere to APA convention and documentation style (See the CSU citation guide for assistance.).
- At least one source is required. All sources used must be cited.
The following documents will assist you in creating this assignment:
- Comparative Essay Topics Handout
1.Cash vs. Credit
2.Fracking vs. Solar Power
3.Recycling vs. Landfill
4.Electric Cars vs. Hybrid Cars
5.Renting vs. Owning
6.Online Education vs. Traditional Education
7.Paper Bags vs. Plastic Bags
8.Friends vs. Family
9.Antique/Used vs. New
10.Offense vs. Defense
11.Marriage vs. Civil unions
12.Baseball vs. Football (comparison of other sports)
13.Vacation vs. Staycation (staying at home)
14.Childhood vs. Adulthood
15. Crying vs. Laughing
17.Parental Influence vs. Peer Influence
18.Toddlers vs. Teenagers
19.Rural Living vs. Urban Living
20.Eating Out vs. Eating at Home