Discussion #4: Perception, Resilience, and & Stress Management
It is important to understand how our perception of self and situations can cause stress.
During our class meeting I discussed resilience and the three ways we can overcome life adversities. I learned this after watching TED TALK The three secrets of resilient people by Lucy Hone.
1) Acceptance/Acknowledgment of the situation as part of life
- life happens, suffering is part of every part of human experience
2) Selectional Attention
- focus on things you can change, accept the things that you can’t
- Tune in to the good, positive things
- Think of things you are grateful
3) Is what you are doing helping or harming you?
- control over situation
- be kind to yourself
In the discussion share, what are three things you can do to have a more positive perception of yourself and life situations? How can resilience help us overcome adverse life situations? Do you feel Lucy Hone’s strategies have helped you overcome resilience in your life?
Weekly Discussion Board: There will be one discussion each week. In order to receive a full credit towards class participation for each discussion, you must â€œReplyâ€ to a minimum of two (2) responses from your fellow classmates. Discussions and replies will be judged on the quality of the content (indicating a grasp of the concepts being discussed). Make your posts insightful and original. If your discussion and responses are not posted before each discussion closes, you will not receive credit for the discussion.