democracy in decline
please write a rough draft of an argumentative paper about this question ” Is support for democracy declining throughout the world, and if so, what are the causes and consequences?” MLA style
Here’s a checklist for your paper:
1) have you formatted your paper according to MLA style?
2) Does your thesis come at the end of the introduction?
3) Is your thesis argumentative?
4) After the introduction and thesis, give FACTS to show the extent of the issue. Cite the sources You’re free to use graphs but make sure to cite them.
Some of you are writing about issues concerning which there’s hard evidence available; others are writing about problems that have to do with disagreements about some issue. For example, if you are interested in evaluating the debate regarding AI, you’d have to convince the reader that there’s evidence that there’s disagreement about what direction AI development should take. In this case, the evidence you’d provide would be quotes from researchers that show that they disagree about how we should approach AI.
On the other hand, if you are writing about the causes and consequences of rising income inequality, then in the facts section you’d give us evidence that shows that income inequality is rising.
5) After the facts section, argue whether or not you think the facts point to a problem. For instance, if you are looking at the declining rate of marriage, decide whether or not the declining rate is a problem. If you don’t think it is a problem, then you should argue against those who think it is a problem.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE READER SHOULD BE CONVINCED WHETHER OR NOT SOMETHING IS A PROBLEM.
6) After you’ve proven that something is a problem, talk about the consequences (THREE) of the problem. For example, if the problem you are looking at is that social media use among kids is growing, then you should give us the consequences of this practice and cite the evidence. Again, you’d have to argue why the growing rate of social media use is a problem.
7) After the consequences, give us THREE reasons why the problem exists and then give evidence to support your reasons.
Here’s a sample paragraph:
Economic stress is one of the major reasons for the decline of marriage. According to research done by X, 80% of marriages end primarily because of disagreements about finances. ( citation ) In addition, research done by Professor X has shown that those who divorce are less likely to marry again within 5 years ( citation). This latter phenomenon reduces the marriage rate even further.
8) Finally, make sure to provide some solutions that are practical.
9) Edit for the most common errors and insert Grammarly to your browser.