Read the article from Time Magazine about the death penalty.
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was sentenced to death on June 25, 2015, for his role in the Boston Marathon bombing. Based on the history and the use of the death penalty, what year do you believe Tsarnaev will actually be put to death?
- Does the death penalty deter crime? Why or why not?
- What costs tax payers more, sentencing someone to death or sentencing someone to life in prison?
- Punishment is said to be most effective if it is sure and swift. Does the current use and implementation of the death penalty in the United States meet those criteria?
- Why does it take so long to carry out a death sentence in the United States?