As Abraham Maslow said in The Psychology of Science: A Reconnaissance, “I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail” (1966). In previous modules, we have learned about psychoanalysis, the new wave of psychoanalysis, and the trait tradition. In this module, we have learned about the humanistic approach. This approach challenges a potential cognitive bias in psychoanalysis that treats behavior as pathology, or something that can be diagnosed and treated. For this journal, we will step outside of the pathology lens on behavior and focus on the role of happiness, self-improvement, and compassion.
For your journal, use the Module Four Journal Template to answer the following questions in about 2 to 5 sentences each. Specifically, you must address the following rubric criteria:
- Analyzing Theory
- Describe how humanism differs from the personality theories you have studied so far.
- Explain the role of nature and nurture in the humanistic approach.
- Describe the role of emotional intelligence in the humanistic approach.
- Applying Theory to Society
- Explain the role of systemic issues in society, such as a lack of equity, access, or opportunity in the hierarchy of needs.
- The final course in your degree program will challenge you to think about your role as an agent of social change. Explain how the humanistic approach generally, or Maslow’s hierarchy specifically, relates to your initial thoughts about being an agent of social change in your community. You can think about how humanism influences your approach to systemic issues or the role that being an agent of social change has on your views of self-actualization.
- Locate and summarize one external article that investigates limitations of Maslow’s hierarchy and systemic issues in society.
- Applying Theory to Self
- Thinking about the top of Maslow’s hierarchy, explain what self-actualization means for you. You can focus your answer as narrowly or holistically to your life experience as you would like. Consider what role school or your career has on your answer. Does success in those areas help you achieve self-actualization? Is it something else?
Guidelines for Submission
Submit your completed Module Four Journal Template. Sources should be cited according to APA style.