Watch the following video on Zach (Section 3- Schizophrenia [1:25:57-2:25:18]). Use the DSM-5 and information from the video to respond to the following questions for Part One of this assignment.
- Formulate a diagnostic impression for Zach with coding and specifiers from the DSM-5. Name at least two positive and at least two negative symptoms that Zach has.
- What did you observe about Zach’s presentation during the interview?
- How are Zach’s relationships affected by his psychotic disorder?
- Why is Zach’s symptom of command auditory hallucinations so concerning for him or anyone with a psychotic disorder?
- What other disorders could Zach potentially have?
- If you were a therapist, in this case, what therapeutic modality/modalities would you use to treat the conditions? Use 1-2 scholarly sources to support your answer. You may choose theories such as cognitive-behavioral, person-centered, family systems, or any others you are familiar with. If you have not taken a theories course, please choose one from the above list.
- In addition to therapy, what referrals would you make or what other professionals would you want to collaborate within this case?
- According to the Schwartz et al. (2019) article, African Americans are more likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia while European Americans are more likely to be diagnosed with a mood disorder. What are your thoughts on why that is and what can help to change that?
Watch The New Asylums video on the incarcerated mentally ill population and respond to the following questions for Part Two of this assignment.
- What did you learn from the video about how the correctional system interacts with the mentally ill?
- How does the environmental stress in correctional facilities influence the manifestation of psychotic symptoms?
- If you were working at the intake unit of a jail (where inmates first arrive), what types of questions would you ask of the new arrivals to discern whether they had a psychotic disorder and might need to be segregated from the general population?
- What specific changes should be implemented at correctional facilities to improve the treatment of the mentally ill incarcerated population?