HEALTH NEWS REPORT
For this assignment students will explore reputable news sources for current events, ideas, discoveries, etc. related to some aspect of health communication. Students are expected to become the content expert of a health-related news article of their choice (just one) and provide a written presentation of the article; Discussing what was contained in the article, why they chose it, and how they see it related to health communication. The objectives for the assignment are to: (a) gather information on current events in health (published in the last six months), (b) apply theories of health communication, (c) organize ideas in writing.
Some examples of news outlets one might choose are: NPR, The Washington Post, The New York Times, Associated Press, Centers for Disease Control. It is important to assess your news outlet before choosing the article a few tips on evaluating your source (Librarian Resources, 2016):
- Who wrote it?
- What are his/her qualifications?
- Who published it?
- Does the publisher have a commercial or ideological motive?
- Is the information factual research or based on opinion?
- Is it biased? Would the author benefit from convincing you he/she is right?
- Is the information true as far as you can tell? Have other authors come to the same conclusion?
- Is it based on good research?
- When was the information published? (should be within six months)
- 1-2 pages, double-spaced
- Should use class specific terms
- Absence of spelling and grammar errors
- Clear citation of sources in-text and reference list (using APA style) â€“ including the book, and chosen article
- (Paragraph 1): Introduction paragraph with fully developed thesis statement
- (Paragraphs 2 â€“ 3): Summary of article content include hyperlink to article selection
- (Paragraph 4): Discussion of how the article is related to course contentâ€”does it extend what is included in the text?
- (Paragraph 5): Explain why this is important and what it means to the field of health communication
- (Paragraph 6): Conclusion which includes a summary of the essay