Peruse the following Web sites:
- County Health Rankings
- Community Commons
- San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency
- Data.gov Data Catalog
The concept behind the 3-4-50 model is that there are three unhealthy behaviors that influence four chronic diseases, which leads to 50% of all deaths. The percentage of deaths can vary by community or place. For example, in some communities, this can be 3-4-63 or 3-4-45.
As you peruse the Web sites above, respond to the following questions:
- How do the 3 behaviors in the 3-4-50 model impact the 4 diseases in your community?
- Can you find the mortality of these 4 diseases in your community?
- If you can, what is the percentage of deaths caused by these 4 diseases for your community?
- What are the underlying social determinants of health that impact the 3 behaviors in the 3-4-50 model?
- What are the health disparities observed from the data in your community (city or county)?
- Physical activity, or lack thereof, is 1 of the 3 behaviors that impact the 4 diseases. What is the walkability index for your neighborhood (area)?
- Does this support the data as they relate to health conditions that are impacted by physical activity?
- From the data and the information you gathered, what recommendations might you have for your community?