Plate Tectonics as an Example of the Scientific Method
introduction (25 â€“ 50% of a typed, double-spaced page): Set up the topic. Speak in general terms about paradigm shifts in science. Introduce the question that prompted Wegenerâ€™s research. THESIS QUESTION: Is the development of the plate tectonics theory a good example of the scientific method? Your answer to this question will be your thesis statement.
BP #1 (50 â€“ 75%): Describe the scientific paradigm that prevailed before Wegner. Include the problems that came with the old paradigm
BP #2 (50 â€“ 75%): Discuss Wegenerâ€™s initial hypothesis of continental drift. How did he arrive at his hypothesis? What questions and ideas did he have?
BP #3 (50 â€“ 75%): Discuss problems that came with Wegenerâ€™s hypothesis. How did external research by others (Holmes, for example) rehabilitate Wegenerâ€™s hypothesis
BP #4 (50 â€“ 75%): Describe how the hypothesis became the plate tectonic theory.
Conclusion (15 â€“ 25%): Close discussion by telling your reader what the implications of this theory. Suggest why following the scientific method was essential to the process.
- USE OF READINGS: For this essay, while I DO want you to refer to the facts in the articles, I DO NOT require MLA citation for this essay.
- NO direct quoting
- Paraphrase and summarize concepts into your own words
- Do not attempt to write on a concept you do not 100% understand. Please re-read the text and ask for help if you are struggling with the concepts
- TONE: Adhere to a formal tone. No slang, no contractions, no â€œIâ€ POV, no attempts at â€œhumor.â€
- FORMAT: 12 pt. Double space. Acceptable fonts: (Times New Roman, Calibri, Ariel, Helvetica). Page numbers should be at the TOP RIGHT HAND side of the page and should include your last name.