To prepare for this discussion, please read Chapter 1 of your textbook (Feenstra, 2013). In addition, read Exploring the Ethics and Psychological Impact of Deception in Psychological Research (Boynton, Portnoy, and Johnson, 2013). Finally, review Instructor Guidance and Announcements. (Not reviewing these each week can affect your performance, be mindful to include these readings in your study time.)
In this discussion, you will consider principles of scientific research, including methodology and ethical considerations. Be sure to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
- Visit https://www.socialpsychology.org/expts.htm. Select any study from the list. (Note that some links may be broken; if you choose a study that is unavailable, simply pick another option.). Participate in the research by following the instructions. After you have completed the study, answer the following questions:
- Indicate the study you completed, including the web link.
- Briefly describe the research that was conducted. What did you do?
- Discuss the following: What type of method do you think the researcher was utilizing? Can you identify the hypothesis and/or theory?
- Review the research based on your experience. What elements of the study “worked” and what would you suggest the researchers do to improve their study?
- Identify any relevant ethical concerns. Was deception utilized?
- Summarize what you learned about research in general and social psychology in particular by completing this research. You may find it helpful to locate additional scholarly sources on the topic to further inform your thinking about the study in which you participated.
Post your initial response of 250 words or more by Day 3 (Thursday)