Week Four: Assignment:
Read Chapter 3: Buddhism, pages 82-112
Complete Worksheet #4 and turn in by Sunday night, February 26 by 11:59 pm. It is located in the Week Four folder under the Assignment Link on Blackboard. Please submit your homework through that assignment link. Instructions for this are given elsewhere.
To get full credit the answers must be thorough, show thought and completely fill in the blanks provided.
The Worksheet is worth 10 points.
III. Discussion Board Assignment Questions:
Answer these question on the Discussion Board in Blackboard.
1. Explain something about Siddhartha Gautama’s life that caught your attention. Explain what it is and why it caught your attention.
2. Discuss the meaning of the four sights or signs. What did they teach Siddhartha? Could that lesson apply to us today in our modern world? Explain.
3. What do you think overall of the seven characteristics of the Buddha’s approach to religion? Which one or two of them seems most important to you and why? In your answer be sure to describe what you think the particular characteristic means and then why you think it is important.
1. The Buddha says Life is Suffering. What reasons does he give for this view? Do you agree with him or not? Give reasons to support your view.
2. What is the way out of suffering for the Buddha? Do you agree, why or why not?
The Buddha believes we have to be a “lamp unto ourselves”. In other words we cannot reach enlightenment or salvation by just having faith in someone or something, but instead we must actually “see” and understand the truth for ourselves in order to reach salvation. What do you think about this? Give reasons to support your view.
Remember: These initial responses to questions should be at least 150 words in length and contribute significantly to the discussion.
Also: Don’t forget to respond to two of your classmates’ postings for each question (four in total). They must be at least 75 words in length and contribute significantly to the discussion.