Please read the passages at the attached file and answer the following questions in your own words. Your answer to each question should be 3-5 sentences in length.
1. How did Mencken characterize the town of Dayton, TN?
2. How did Mencken characterize the people who lived in Dayton?
3. How does Mencken characterize Darrowâ€™s performance?
4. According to Mencken, who won the trial? Why did that person win?
5. How would you characterize Clarence Darrowâ€™s examination of William Jennings Bryan? Was Darrowâ€™s examination effective?
6. How would you characterize Bryanâ€™s responses to Darrowâ€™s questions? Were Bryanâ€™s responses effective?
7. Who do you think won the exchange between Darrow and Bryan? Why?
8. The Scopes Monkey Trial illustrates a division that existed between rural and urban Americans in the 1920s. Rural Americans tended to have more faith in revealed religious truth, and urban Americans tended to have more faith in scientific understanding. What is an issue you think divides rural and urban Americans today?