The same process takes place in Domtar’s joint ventures. In northern Ontario, Domtar owns a 45 perce

The same process takes place in Domtar’s joint ventures. In northern Ontario, Domtar owns a 45 percent interest in a mill, with the Cree of James Bay owning the remaining 55 percent. Although Domtar has minority interest in the joint venture, training is an important part of its involvement. Skills training still takes place on site, but all management and teamwork training is done at Domtar’s headquarters in Montreal.

< pstyle=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, ‘Bitstream Vera Sans’, sans-serif; margin: 0in 0in 8pt; “>
Royer’s ability to get employees to buy into this new way of doing business was necessary for the organization to succeed. Paperloop’s editorial director for news products, Will Mies, in describing why Royer was chosen for the award, indicated that they polled a large number of respected security analysts, investment officers, and portfolio managers as well as their own staff of editors, analysts, and economists to determine a worthy winner this year. Raymond Royer emerged a clear favorite, with voters citing, in particular, his talent for turnaround, outstanding financial management, and consistently excellent merger, acquisition, and consolidation moves as well as his ability to integrate acquired businesses through a management system that engages employees. Of course, that last part, a management system that engages employees, could be said to be the key without which most of the rest would not work very well. That requires training.

< pstyle=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, ‘Bitstream Vera Sans’, sans-serif; margin: 0in 0in 8pt; “>
*

< pstyle=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, ‘Bitstream Vera Sans’, sans-serif; margin: 0in 0in 8pt; “>
Swift, A. Royer’s Domtar turnaround. Financial Post (October 6 2003), FP3. Allen, B. 2003. The Domtar difference.
www.pimaweb.org/conferences/june2003/BuddyAllen.pdf
. Anonymous (January 2001) Partnership between Domtar and Cree First Nations brings results.
www.diversityupdate.com
. Richard Descarries, Manager, Corporate Communications and External Relations, Domtar, personal communication (2004).

< pstyle=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, ‘Bitstream Vera Sans’, sans-serif; margin: 0in 0in 8pt; “>

< pstyle=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, ‘Bitstream Vera Sans’, sans-serif; margin: 0in 0in 8pt; “>
Review the Domtar case from
Chapter 1
, and answer the following questions:

a. In the implementation of Kaizen, what groups of employees are likely to need training? How should the trainees be organized? Think of this issue from a training design perspective and from a training content perspective.
b. For the type of training envisioned, what are the learning objectives? Write these objectives in complete form.
c. For each group of employees that will need training, what are the organizational constraints that need to be addressed in the design of the training? What design features should be used to address these constraints? Be sure to address both the learning and transfer of training issues.