When the IEP Team Meets
This assignment assesses your ability to explain the Individualized Education Program team meeting process in accordance with the requirements set forth by the IDEA and to clarify the role of each legally mandated attendee on the IEP team. This assessment also supports your achievement of Course Learning Outcome 2, 3,4, 6 and the MASE Program Learning Outcome 4, 6, and 8.
The IEP meeting typically has a specific process that is followed in order to meet required steps as outlined by IDEA. The video, The IEP Team Process: Chapter 5- The IEP meeting (Links to an external site.), simulates an annual IEP team meeting in progress that begins with introductions and concludes with the parents being given a copy of the written documents in which they are then asked to provide their signatures indicating consent. To ensure that each step in the IEP process is being addressed, an agenda is disseminated before the meeting officially begins. The written agenda may also include a copy of meeting ground rules and the student’s schedule among other informative items.
Read the following brief article, “When the IEP Team Meets (Links to an external site.),” which explains the required elements of the IEP team meeting process as governed by the IDEA. Using support from this article, your required course textbook, and the Instructor Guidance address the following components:
Content Expectations (VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE ALL IS DONE CORRECTLY)
- In at least one paragraph summarize each person’s role and contribution to Destini’s IEP meeting.
- In a total of at least three paragraphs provide the details of three types of required information that the IEP written document must contain at the conclusion of the meeting.
- In at least two paragraphs discuss the typical procedures that occur during the IEP team meeting.
- In at least one paragraph review the importance of placing this information in writing.
- In at least one paragraph describe the process of deciding placement.
- In at least one paragraph, explain two points of implementing the child’s IEP according to the IDEA.
- Syntax and Mechanics: Exhibit meticulous use of grammar, spelling, organization, and usage throughout your submission.
- Organization: Use the above listed guidelines for explicit sections/headings within your paper.
- Paragraphs: Write at least nine paragraphs (4 pages) that include a topic sentence not including an introductory paragraph and a concise conclusion.
- Source Requirement: Reference at least three scholarly sources, which may include your course textbook and the required article in order to provide compelling evidence to support your ideas.
- Additional Page Requirement: Your submission must include a title and reference page.
- APA format: All in text citations, page format, and references must be written in APA 6th edition format.