Brochure, Newsletter, or Presentation on a Religion
Assignment 2: Brochure, Newsletter, or Presentation on a Religion
Select one (1) of the religions we have studied with which you were least
familiar before you started the course. Create a four to six (4-6) page
brochure, newsletter, or presentation in which you focus on one of the
significant ways that the beliefs and practices of the religion are demonstrated
today: festivals OR meditation OR rites of passage.
Create a four to six (4-6) page brochure, newsletter, or presentation in
1. Provide a brief overview of the religion you selected that includes:
- a description of the central beliefs of the religion.
- a description of the sacred text(s) of the religion.
- the origin of the religion, including key figures associated with the
religion, if applicable.
2. Choose one (1) of the following examples of how the religious beliefs are
- Major festivals (i.e. Easter Procession, Diwali).
- Forms of meditation (i.e. prayer, yoga).
- Rites of passage (i.e. marriage, funerals).
3. Describe the festival OR meditation OR rites of passage:
- Identify the country or countries where practiced.
- Identify the participants and their roles.
- Explain how the practice is rooted in the beliefs of the religion.
- Identify whether any sacred texts are associated with the practice and if
so, explain how the text is used as part of this practice.
4. Write an “About the Author” section in the brochure, newsletter, or
presentation that includes:
- a brief statement about why you choose this religion and practice for your
- a brief statement of an aspect of the practice that is intriguing to
- a brief statement about whether you have had the opportunity to personally
observe the practice; if not, whether you would like to have this opportunity,
and explain why or why not.
5. Include five to eight (5-8) relevant images.
6. Format your text and images to make the information engaging, attractive,
and easy to read.
7. Use at least three (3) quality resources. Note: Wikipedia and similar
websites do not count as quality resources.
8. Write clearly and coherently using correct grammar, punctuation, spelling,
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Analyze the similarities and differences in the primary beliefs held by
major religious traditions and the cultures in which these religions
- Describe the varieties of religious experience and practice in a wide range
- Recognize how daily life within various religions and current affairs are
influenced by religion.
- Develop written pieces that demonstrate an analysis of a topic relevant to
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in
- Write clearly and concisely about world religions using proper writing
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /
organization of the material, and language and writing skills, using the
following rubric found