1. What are four indications and contraindications for the use of syringe drivers for pain relief?
2. Outline the impact loss and grief has on the individual person who is receiving palliative care, their family or carers and the staff members involved in their care.
3. How can you and your colleague’s access professional debriefing? Provide two strategies.
4. For each of the following issues listed below, explain the ethical and legal issues that may occur in relation to personal values and decisions made by or for the person requiring a palliative approach to care.
- Requests to withhold information
- Withdrawing or withholding treatment (for example, antibiotics).
- Provision of nutrition and hydration
- Request for assistance to die
- Refuse autopsy of a deceased relative in palliative care
5. In the “Issues” column below, for each of the groups , briefly describe the needs and important factors to be considered when providing a palliative care approach. In the “Support” column, identify one service available to this group for grief and bereavement support.
- People who identify as LGBTI
- Refugees and asylum seekers.
- People from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- People with an intellectual disability
- People living in rural and remote areas
- Older people and people living with dementia
- Children and adolescents