an appointment to meet with an athletic administrator who deals with the student-athlete advisory operations for academic and career development, by phone, email, or, preferably, in person.
You will specifically need to interview an athletic department’s Student-Advisory Officer or any other position that is responsible for the advisory operations at an institution.
Your interview should address the following three areas:
- Does your institution have an advisement program that addresses the student-athletes’ academic and career development needs? If not, do you plan to have one in the future? If so, discuss the important pieces of information that are involved in the program.
- Discuss the process of your program.
- Describe the methods used to notify student-athletes of the eligibility requirements, personal development assistance, and other athlete services available within the department. (If a student-athlete’s handbook is available, request if a copy for examination is permissible)
You will need to create an additional five (5) questions that will be used to interview the desired individual in your geographic area, and identify those questions in your paper.
Tips for creating your interview questions:
- Create a variety of alternative questions for your interviewee if your first set of questions are unable to be answered.
- Be sure your questions are open-ended; avoid questions that can be answered with one word.
- Provide support why the question you developed are critical in the field of intercollegiate athletics with clear justification and accurate rationale.
Then, you will list the questions and answer (transcript) for your interview. After you have written the transcript of your interview, you will conclude your paper with examples of the literature you have read about throughout the course and how it is relevant to this interview and why.
If the person you interview provides attachments or links for their compliance material, please include it in your document or in the references section of your paper. Be sure you are clearly stating all findings from the interview while providing your views of the athletic department’s policies and procedures relevant to compliance.
Illustrate the strengths and weaknesses of the department’s services program from the interview while explaining the instituted programs’ effectiveness for a student-athlete’s academic progress. Present instituted measures from research in order to evaluate the assessment of the student-athlete’s academic progress and retention. In your presentation, identify the measures that the interviewed program may institute for continued success of their academic services program.
Length: 12 pages not including title and reference pages.
References: Minimum 7 scholarly resources.
Please make sure that five of the eight required resources are from journals, periodicals, or books concerning advising the student-athlete for areas that must be developed within this program such as learning disabilities and eating disorders.
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts that are presented and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards. Review APA Form and Style.
Be sure to adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy. Review NCU’s Academic Integrity Tutorial to refresh your knowledge of how to achieve academic integrity.