managing diversity final: auditing a website
- Minimum 1 reliable resource (assigned website to audit)
Introduction – Auditing a Website
In the twenty-first century, websites are an important channel of communication between organizations and their external stakeholders. If an organization is serious about its commitment to diversity, one would expect that this would be reflected in the design, content and graphics, of the website. Potential employees, customers, suppliers, etc., often turn first to a website before initiating interaction with an organization. If diversity is integral to the mission and values of an organization, information on diversity should be easily accessible, informative and well integrated into the website (Harvey & Allard, 2015, p. 405).
For this assignment complete the following:
- select an industry such as healthcare, hospitality, manufacturing, government, education, sports, etc. or specific websites for you to use for this assignment.
- Complete questions 1-4:
- 1.)Evaluate how accessible diversity-related material is on this website. Is there a direct link from the home page? What type of results does entering the term diversity in a search box yield? Or, do you have to explore on your own? Sometimes searching under “careers” or “press releases” may produce some diversity-related results. On some web sites, students will have to explore deeply into web pages to find material related to diversity. What does this say about the organization’s commitment to diversity?
- 2.)Evaluate the usefulness of the diversity information to potential employees, customers, and suppliers. Is the diversity material related to the organization’s business case for diversity, core values, mission, and the way that the organization does business? How current is the diversity-related material? For a good example, explore Hewlett Packard’s website at http:// www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/diversity/
- 3.)Evaluate the appropriateness of the photographs and graphic material that relates to diver- sity. Some websites will feature photographs of diverse employees and customers, yet not link this material to the verbal content. Some reuse the same pictures on different pages. On the Hewlett Packard website, notice the photos they use and the diversity value chain graphic available at http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/diversity/value.h…
- 4.)Using the website that you were assigned for this assignment, assume that you are (a) a potential employee, (b) a potential customer and (c) a potential supplier or subcontractor. What perceptions might you have about this organization’s commitment to diversity based solely on the website? Looking at this website, do you think that it encourages or discour- ages diverse employees to apply for jobs in this organization? Why or why not?
Writing Assignment – Reaction Paper: Evaluating Organizational Commitment to Diversity by Auditing a Website
Complete a reaction paper should be no less than five (5) full double-spaced page and no more than ten (10) double-spaced pages in length, not including the cover page or the reference page. Times New Roman, 12-point font should be used with one-inch margins all around. The paper should exhibit critical thinking on the part of the student by comparing to new knowledge, theories, and/or concepts gained during the course (reading assignments).
Once you have answered the questions, write a paper that discusses your reactions compared to the academic concepts you have gained from the reading assignments.
- How did the exercise make you feel?
- Was there anything with which you particularly agreed or disagreed and why?
- What sparked a strong reaction in you and why?
- Identify questions that sparked in your mind (minimum of four).
- The paper should exhibit critical thinking on the part of the student about the exercises by comparing four (4) to five (5) concepts from the reading (any applicable assigned reading in the course). This process displays your understanding and ability to critically analyze the situation. This is an important strategic managerial characteristic.
- Must have an introduction (with a thesis), body, and conclusion.
- Do NOT summarize the exercises.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- 6-7pages (approx. 300 words per page), not including title page or references page
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page with topic and name of student
- References page (minimum of 1 resource)