Serial Podcast Assignment
The Case: Adnan Syed was convicted of first degree murder and is serving a life sentence plus 30 years for the 1999 murder of his 18 year old ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee.In 2014 a 12-part podcast investigated the circumstances of the crime and attempted to evaluate all the evidence.
You are only required to listen to four episodes (4 hours).In order to enjoy this experience the most, I advise you to wait to Google this case.The podcast was a huge success when it first aired in 2014 and there has been a tremendous interest in the case.Just wait to read all about it until you have listened to the podcast.
Read the questions below before starting to listen to each episode (the links are in Canvas).
Please answer the questions below.Do not erase the question itself as it makes it difficult to grade.
- What was the date six weeks prior to the day you are answering these questions?
- What did you do on this day? Be as detailed as you can without assistance from social media. Write at least 5 sentences trying to answer the question.
- Now add any information you learned from social media.
- Was anything you wrote initially not supported by what was documented on social media? If so, what?
- What is the importance behind Asia McClain’s letter?
- Why would it be important for a defense attorney to look into Asia McClain’s letter?
- What argument did the State make to use the relationship between Hae and Adan against Adnan?
- What evidence did they use? What was their argument?
- In what ways did the state try to use Adnan’s religion against him?
- At this point, how are you feeling about the case?
1. Explain whether or not you believe the story of Mr. S. Use evidence from the episode. Write at least 5 sentences.
- Briefly explain what key piece of evidence provided by Jay lead to Adnan’s arrest.
- What are some of the inconsistencies in Jay’s story (major and minor)?
- Which of Jay’s “inconsistencies” gives you the most concern as to the credibility of his story? Explain.
- What are YOUR thoughts on Jay so far? Do you think he is a credible witness? Explain.
For the files, If you would provide me your email address so I can send them for you because the website did not accept them for some reason.