Sweeping structural changes have occurred in the American economy in the past few decades. These have had deep impacts on labor markets and middle-income households. The PBS Frontline documentary film “Two American Families” follows the lives of
two American households as they experience these changes from 1992 to 2012. It is available for free to view at the following
1) Watch the film documentary above. (It’s about 80 minutes).
2) Write a 2-3 page reaction paper to this documentary that applies concepts, knowledge, and economic theory learned during the class. Your reaction paper must say something meaningful and interesting using labor economics. It must be more than a summary of the film. It must use labor economics to explain what is observed in the film.
A paper receiving full extra credit does the following:
– Makes an interesting, thoughtful point
– Applies economic theory to make point
– Shows the student learned something about labor economics in the past month
– Uses examples from the film, refers to film to make point
– Shows the student put thought and effort into the reaction paper and film
– At least 2 pages in length, typed, one inch margins, uses paragraphs and complete sentences, etc